Sunday, April 1, 2012

A tale of two cities' art exhibits



Two museum exhibits that are getting tons of press lately are the Cindy Sherman retrospective at the MoMA in NYC, and the David Hockney exhibit entitled "The Big Picture" which is at the Royal Academy of Arts in London.  I would love to see both exhibits, but realistically, I will probably only be able to get to the Sherman exhibit.  Both artists are people whose work I was looking at when I was in college and taking lots of art classes.  At one point I was attempting to paint a self portrait, and my professor said to me that I shouldn't be painting such a large self portrait unless I was doing something like Cindy Sherman...that was in 1981 and it was the first I'd heard of her.  It's amazing to me that she is still working on variations of this theme 31 years later.  Her paintings are thought provoking, edgy, and sometimes downright sad.  But they are always fascinating.













All of the photos above are from the Cindy Sherman Retrospective at the MoMA


The Hockney exhibit is of his landscape paintings and mixed media. I find the bold colors, sense of depth, and graphic qualities very interesting. These two artists may seem to have nothing in common, yet I think they both provoke us to look a little deeper and to think about the image we are looking at.  I also think there is a bit of humor in both artist's work.










All of the photos above are of the David Hockney exhibit at the Royal Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment