Friday, May 18, 2012

A quick stop at The British Museum


I'm on a visit to the UK with my son to look at St. Andrews University in Scotland, but our first stop was London.  We had a few hours to kill before our train left Kings Cross station, so we saw a bit of Bloomsbury including the fabulous British Museum.  We spent most of our time in the Egyptian, Greek and Roman rooms.





 The museum has the sculptures from the Parthenon mounted at eye level so that you can really appreciate the 3-dimensionality, and the sophisticated composition of the sculptures.  When I saw the museum twenty something years ago I don't remember them being so visually accessible.








Some amazing Roman sculptures and busts.  I love this place!

My son in front of the museum.  I think he liked it too.

1 comment:

  1. I have chiseled and sanded away at soapstone for days to arrive at a small piece. I can't imagine marble.
    Thank you for sharing this amazing museum.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete