Thursday, June 20, 2013

Which way to the beach?

School's out and summer vacation is upon us.  It's time to head to the beach for a week, or better yet, for the summer.  This delightful Marin County beach cottage was published in House Beautiful last year.  For me, this is the epitome of a beach house; clean and simple architecture, exposed framing..no insulation, no sheet rock, no air conditioning.  No one chooses to build this way any more...even for a beach cottage.  So there is something special, which harkens back to a simpler time, about this look.  I'm imagining, though probably erroneously, that this house has no cable, no TV, and no internet. Hopefully it has plenty of board games, decks of cards, and paperback books.  Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.























3 comments:

  1. Ha! I stayed in a lot of beach shacks during the 1950s and early 60s, when my parents didn't have enough money for something decent. The beach home here, as photographed, is absolutely gorgeous!!! I would proudly have it as my main home, especially with that huge balcony, the timber floor and the white wall panels. It is fresh, airy and lends itself to outside-inside living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect beach house. Makes me want to settle in and read. Thanks for sharing! N.G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though it would be nice to get away from all the busy city life, it would be hard to find a vacation house without at least TV and cable. And even most of them have underground cables for internet nowadays. Still, you can always simulate it amongst yourselves, and there are certainly a lot of options other than channel browsing or surfing the net. That being said, having a wonderful vacation house is definitely one of the things I would want to have if I had the resources to do so. Nothing like a place to get away and relax even if only for a few days.

    Arthur
    Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete